Objective: To give students the opportunity to learn the foundational skills of music composition and to allow them to enhance their musical ability through its educative and transformative qualities.
Goal: Each student will compose a piece for string orchestra to enter in the ILMEA Composition Contest. The deadline for submission is April 1, 2018. String experience is not required.
Format: The Composition Club will meet bi-weekly, beginning in January of 2018. Meetings will be on Thursday nights from 5:45-6:45. Each week will have a 30 min. workshop/lesson and then time will be spent helping students hands-on with their compositions.
Syllabus & Tentative Dates:
- Jan 18- The Basics of Creativity (the creative process and narrative composing)
- Feb 1- The Basics of Composition (Theme, Form, and Notation)
- Feb 15- Hear it, then Write it (Rhythmic & Pitch transcription)
- Mar 1- Tips & Tricks (Motivic Development)
- Mar 15- Writing Accompaniments (Harmonic Progressions)
- Mar 29- Group presentations