We are holding open auditions through August 27th for select positions in our programs.
Strings for Youth Symphony, Concert Orchestra and Preparatory Orchestra
Woodwinds for Youth Symphony & Concert Orchestra
Brass for Youth Symphony & Concert Orchestra
Percussion for Youth Symphony, Concert Orchestra and/or Percussion Ensemble
You may complete your Audition Application through our website, or by downloading the CIYS Audition Application and mailing to the Youth Music Illinois office: 3601 N Sheridan Rd. Peoria, IL 61604
Youth Music Illinois PDF Application *Mailed applications should be postmarked no later than August 1st to ensure enough time to schedule your audition.
Upon receiving your Audition Application and $25 audition fee, you will be contacted by to schedule your audition time.
August 2017 Audition Requirements
All students who audition in May will need to indicate on their application form the orchestra and/or small ensemble they would like to join and prepare the following:
1. Solo of your choice (approximately 2 minutes in length)
2. Scales as indicated for your instrument and chosen orchestra
3. An excerpt for your chosen orchestra. Conductors are looking for a limited time frame to learn and play the piece, not memorize it
(Note: If you are auditioning for both Youth Symphony and Concert Orchestra, you should prepare both sets of excerpts and scales.)
4. A brief sight-reading excerpt may be included for your audition.
5. Students auditioning for a small ensemble only should bring a prepared solo and scales for Concert Orchestra or Youth Symphony, to the best of your ability
6. Percussion students should prepare one snare, one timpani and one mallet piece from the provided excerpts in addition to the tambourine and triangle excerpt.
Carrie, Program Manager will email you upon receipt of your application to schedule your August 2017 audition for the 2017-2018 season
In order to schedule an audition you must submit an application (online or mail) and application fee in advance.